We are now accepting applications for our Summer 2015 Internship.
For the third summer in a row, we’re seeking a team of three interns to plan and produce a brand and web project for an awesome non-profit organization.
The way it works:
- We select three interns for three different roles. Project manager, designer, and developer (see descriptions below)
- Organizations who are searching for a holistic, brand-focused solution to their communication challenges are asked to apply.
- First day of
workfun: Monday, May 18, 2015. We do some introductions then really hit the ground running.
- By the end of the first week the intern team will set personal and team goals, and select an organization to work with that will provide a mutually beneficial relationship. Not only are the interns working to enhance the client’s brand, but they’ll also be learning from the expertise here at AWP and honing their own skills.
- The intern team will do a series of Discovery meetings with their client, led by the Project Manager. By using AWP’s Brand Articulation process, interns will start by defining the organization’s target audiences, communications goals, risks and aspirations.
- Production! Based on the results of Discovery, interns will work to produce the most impactful solutions for the client that allows each intern to utilize our own unique skill sets. Most of the summer is spent designing, coding, drinking coffee, reviewing, collaborating, revising, and occasionally taking a kayak break.
- Regularly scheduled check-ins with your staff counterparts (designers, developers, project managers…) will give you the opportunity to grow and learn while creating something for your portfolio that actually exists in the world!
- At the end of the summer, the intern team will deliver the project (though collaboration and communication with with the client is happening from Day 1) and we’ll probably celebrate with pie. We love sharing pie.
- Win win win for everyone. Interns have a great opportunity for some real-world experience and to have their names on a real-world project, a great non-profit receives a professional-caliber project without the cost, and we get to meet and learn from the next generation of design professionals.
A bit about us:
We are an accomplished and team-oriented creative agency headquartered in Ithaca, NY. For the past 10 years we’ve designed and developed award-winning brands, websites and apps from the ground up. Our shop is small, so you’ll have the opportunity to work next to different members of the team to cater your experience to your strengths or hone your skills in your not-so-strong areas.
Interested? Here’s the details.
Summer interns are required to be present in our office Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 10-5 for the duration of the internship (May 15-August 15). This is a team project, so if you have scheduling conflicts you can work out modifications to the schedule with your intern teammates.
Interns must receive credit for their internship through their institution.
Required skills for all positions:
- Expert communicator
- Experience working on team projects
- Highly motivated with a strong desire to learn about our process and the industry
- A basic understanding of the design and marketing industries
- Basic design skills (Photoshop and/or Illustrator)
We’re looking for students to apply for a specific position. These are some things that have made our past interns a good fit in their roles:
- Strong writing and presentation skills
- Strong organization skills
- Confidence! You’ll be interfacing with a real-world client, and communicating on behalf of the entire intern team
- Target audience analysis
- Pursuing a design, marketing, or communications degree
- Basic knowledge of design and / or web design process
- Pursuing a design, marketing, development, or interactive degree
- Front end coding (html/css/jQuery), responsive layouts
- Knowledge of various content management systems
- Awareness of latest web development practices and coding techniques
- Strong design portfolio that includes brand design projects
- Experience with brand guides / branding standards
- Web and interactive design experience
- Involvement in a design community
Please email us a resume and cover letter that includes which position you’re interested in, and a link to your online portfolio if you have one. No calls please. Before you apply, read through our blog to learn more about who we are, what we do, and how much fun we have!
Are you a non-profit interested in working with our intern team? Learn more here.